President: Ambassador Pierre Colot
Director and EuroMeSCo "liaison officer": Geoffroy d'Aspremont
The MEDEA Institute is a European research centre whose primary purpose is to build relationships of trust, cooperation and mutual understanding between EU countries and their Mediterranean and Arabic neighbours.
Areas of work
Its work consists in developing a network of continuous dialogue between politicians, economists and academics, and in making available to the general public, information relating to relations that Europe has with its southern neighbours.
Objective of the Euromed / Middle East programme
• Foster inter-cultural dialogue
• Promote mutual understanding and reciprocal tolerance
• Establish links and networks for the benefit of players in the political, economic, academic and cultural spheres
• Disseminate objective and plural information to the public at large
• Provide direct access to European and international based in Brussels
The first concerns the organization of different types of events such as:
• Conferences to inform the general public on Mediterranean and Euro-Arab relations and on the news in Arab and Muslim countries;
• Symposia and workshops that can be achieved in relatively small get-together and are intended to deepen a specific problem;
• Informal meetings between different actors of the Mediterranean and Euro-Arab relations (officials, diplomats, businessmen, etc..) organized in order to increase the regularity of contacts and reduce the risk of misunderstandings and mutual incomprehension.
The second type of activities consists in providing information to the general public via the website of the Institute – including 1800 pages – and by writing articles published in periodicals outside the Institute.
The third type of activities lies in the consultancy service proposed in various forms:
• Interviews given to the media;
• Research and analyses conducted at the request of one third;
• Setting contact with different actors of the Mediterranean and Euro-Arab relations;
• Put MEDEA’s network of contacts at disposal to find experts and speakers.
MEDEA - European Institute for Research on Euro-Arab Cooperation
24 Square de Meeûs
tel: +32 2 231 13 00
If you would like to contact the focal point of this institute, please write to