Director: Petr Kratochvíl
EuroMeSCo "liaison officer": Jan Daniel
The Institute of International Relations (IIR) is an independent public research institution which conducts scholarly research in the area of international relations. Its founder is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic.
• to conduct research in the field of international relations
• to strive for improvements in the quality and prestige of Czech science
• to assist in the formation and conduct of foreign policy of the Czech Republic
• to increase awareness of issues of international relations both among professionals and among the public
The IIR thus forms a link between the academic world, the public and international political practice.
• Basic and applied research of international relations, often in the framework of Czech, as well as international, projects.
• Publication activities.
• Organization of scholarly events.
• Cooperation with many governmental organizations and NGOs
• IIR public library.
• Educational activities.
Areas of work
Main activities of the Institute of International Relations comprise of:
• Basic and applied research of international relations, often in the framework of Czech, as well as international, projects (on average six international and eleven Czech projects a year).
• Publication activities in the form of proceedings, periodicals, treatises, articles in scholarly literature, and in policy papers
• Organization of scholarly events - conferences, seminars, roundtable discussions and presentations (twenty per year).
• Cooperation with many governmental organizations and NGOs such as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Czech Academy of Science, University of Economics in Prague, Charles University, Trans European Policy Studies Association, European Consortium for Political Research, etc.
• IIR public library services - the library archives contain some 70.000 (especially foreign) publications, including 400 periodicals
• Educational activities, such as student internships and a Ph.D. studies programme which the IIR organizes in co-operation with the University of Public Administration and International Affairs.
Objectives of the Euromed/Middle East programme(s)
The Institute is the prime research centre for Euro-Mediterranean/Middle East area. Since 1995 we are main researchers for Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs and we serve as analytic and advisory body. We can offer long term experiences and wider range of our research activities that can participate with the Euromed/Middle East subject.
Membership to other networks
- The Trans European Policy Studies Association - TEPSA
- Anna Lindh Euro-Mediterranean Foundation for Dialogue between Cultures - ALF
Institute of International Relations
Prague 1, 118 50
Tel.: +420 251 108 111/313
If you would like to contact the focal point of this institute, please write to