Director and EuroMeSCo "liaison officer": Atila Eralp
The Middle East Technical University (METU) is one of Turkey’s premier public universities with a stellar reputation for its highly trained graduates in social, scientific, and technical fields. Within METU, Center for European Studies (CES) was founded in 1997 by members of the Faculty of Economic and Administrative Sciences (FEAS) in order to promote the development of an interdisciplinary and comparative approach towards European integration and Euro-Mediterranean Relations. CES is well-recognized as a highly productive training and research institution, which actively takes part or leads transnational projects. Since its inauguration, the Center has actively engaged in teaching and research on policy and politics in Europe in general and the process of social and political transformation in Turkey on the way to EU membership, in particular.
In recognition of its achievements to stimulate and improve the debate, knowledge, research and training on European Integration, the Center has been awarded the title of Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence (JMCE) in 2007.
Areas of work
Turkey-EU Relations, Euro-Mediterranean and Neighbourhood Policies, Europeanization, Religion and Secularism, Public Opinion, Migration, Foreign and Security Policies, Cyprus, Theories and Politics of European Integration.
Objectives of the Euromed/Middle East programme
• Teaching and Research on European integration, with a focus on 3 levels, national, regional and international, and on the basis of a multi-disciplinary approach
• Stimulate and participate in the debate, training and knowledge on European integration
• Contribute to regional and international links with Turkish academics and experts by acting as a hub of networking, training and research events
Since the Center brings together faculty from other disciplines, it has the capacity to join an inter-disciplinary approach at EuroMeSCo, by offering a broader and comparative insight into Euro-Med relations.
• Turkey Watch, EU-27 Watch, Commentaries at EUISS, ECFR, IEMed Publications
• Research Project Partner in EU4Seas,
• Networking Partner in LISBOAN,
Membership to other networks
- Trans European Policy Studies Association - TEPSA
- Euro-Mediterranean Study Commission - EuroMeSCo Network
- European Consortium for Political Research - ECPR
- University Association for Contemporary European Studies - UACES
- Network of Mediterranean Universities and other Academic Institutions - MAEM-MEMA
Middle East Technical University, Center for European Studies
FEAS B Building, 06531
Phone:+90312 2103609/+90312 210 7080
If you would like to contact the focal point of this institute, please write to