Head of the research centre: Maja Bučar
EuroMeSCo "liaison officer": Ana Bojinovic Fenko
The Center of International Relations (CIR) was established in 1981 as an independent institution, with no political or state affiliation. It forms an integral part of the research Institute of Social Sciences at the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ljubljana. In addition to conducting research as its most important activity, the CIR also carries out teaching and other assignments that fall within its fields of interest. CIR research is interdisciplinary. Its members include experts in International Relations, International Economic Relations, International Law, International Organisations, Theories of International Relations, Regionalism studies, Foreign Policy and Diplomacy, European Integration, International Business, and International Security.
CIR research provides the basis for the graduate and undergraduate courses in International Relations at the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ljubljana. The research results are widely disseminated, both within Slovenia and abroad. Together with Palgrave, the CIR publishes the Journal of International Relations and Development, the official journal of the Central and East European International Studies Association (CEEISA).
Areas of work
FDI, Transition Economics, Internationalisation, Innovation and R&D policies, International Development, Small States, International Law, (European) Foreign Policy and Diplomacy, International Regionalism, International Organisation, Minority Protection, Ethnic Conflicts, Methodology and Theory of IR, South Eastern Europe, Mediterranean.
Objective of the Euromed / Middle East programme
• To develop theory on region-making with specific attention to the case of regionalisation process in the Mediterranean region,
• To measure Mediterranean regionness by levels of regionality,
• To develop comparative foreign policy with regards to small Mediterranean states,
• To analyse the role of Western Balkans within the Mediterranean region,
• To analyse interparliamenatary affairs in the Mediterranean region and states,
• To analyse diversity management in multi ethnic Mediterranean states,
• To analyse transition economies in the Mediterranean.
Membership to other networks
- Trans European Policy Studies Association - TEPSA
- World International Studies Committee - WISC
- European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes - EADI
Centre of International Relations - CIR
Faculty of Social Sciences
University of Ljubljana
Kardeljeva ploscad 5
SI - 1000 Ljubljana
Phone: +3861 5805 255
If you would like to contact the focal point of this institute, please write to