President: Henry Roux Alezais
EuroMeSCo "liaison officer": Constantin Tsakas
In order to help its partners gaining influence in the Euro-Mediterranean cooperation policies, two different kind of activities are being implemented by the Institut de la Méditerranée:
• Studies and surveys on the economic transition of Mediterranean Southern and Eastern countries, particularly within the Euro-Mediterranean Forum of Economic Institute (FEMISE). The EU funded (DG Relex) FEMISE mainly aims at enhancing the research and action capacities of the Med Institute partners in the Euro-Mediterranean region.
• Expertise on territory policies and strategies within the Euro-Mediterranean region (Northern and Southern shore) highlighting the territorial issues (transport, metropolisation, environment) that contribute to the sustainability, competitiveness and cohesion of the Euro-Mediterranean region. Implemented activities and projects in this perspective are mainly funded through European Structural Funds.
Areas of work
• Economic transition of Euromed countries
• Euromediterranean policies and strategies
• Mediterranean governance
• Mediterranean territorial sustainable development including: urban development, Energy policy, Migrations, Transports, Macro regional approach, Prospective studies
Objectives of the Euromed/Middle East programme(s)
The whole Institut de la Méditerranée activities aims at improving knowledge for territorial actors on the governance of Mediterranean territories. This issue is very much relevant in the perspective of the activities of EUROMESCO. Indeed, peace and stability requires the emergence of more sustainable model of development and a greater involvement of civil society and territorial actors in public policies. This trend is obviously at the heart of the democratic transition currently undergoing in the Arab countries.
The Institut de la Méditerranée has achieved a recognised expertise in the hereabove mentioned fields that could contribute to enrich the scope of expertise covered today by EuroMeSCo.
Another characteristics of the Institut de la Méditerranée is that its research and studies activities are tightly linked with operational cooperation projects in which the Institute is involved along local and regional authorities from the Mediterranean area.
Membership to other networks
The Institut de la Méditerranée has an active role of in the following networks:
- Forum Euroméditerranéen des Instituts de Sciences Économiques - FEMISE
- Network of Mediterranean Institutes - RIM
Institut de la Méditerranée
2, rue Henri Barbusse
13241 Marseille Cedex 1 FRANCE
Phone: 00 33 4 91 31 51 95
If you would like to contact the focal point of this institute, please write to