Director: Kristian Fischer
EuroMeSCo "liaison officer": Helle Malmvig
The Danish Institute for International Studies (DIIS):
• Undertake, promote and coordinate independent research on international affairs.
• Conduct analyses and statements upon request from Parliament, the government or on its own initiative, as well as following international development with a view to assessing the foreign and security policy situation in a broad political and economic context, including the position of Denmark in relation to development policy issues.
• Communicate research results, analyses and knowledge and carries out documentation- and information activities, including library, on international affairs.
• Participate in research education in collaboration with other research institutions, including the enhancement of research capacity in developing countries as well as undertaking supplementary education for the users of the Institute.
• Functions as a link between Danish and international research environments within the sphere of work of the Institute.
Areas of work
The research conducted by the Danish Institute for International Studies is divided into subunits, each with its distinct focus area. These are:
• Defence and security
• Foreign policy and EU studies
• Global economy, regulation and development
• Holocaust and genocide
• Natural resources and poverty
• Politics and development
• The Middle East
Objectives of the Euromed/Middle East programme(s)
The focus is socio-political dynamics, transnational links and international relations in and to the Middle East. We in particularly focus on regional security structures and the relationship between the Middle Eastern states, the US and Europe/the EU. We also have a primary focus on reform and political change in the Arab World, and on the use of religion as a source of identity and legitimacy.
Membership to other networks
DIIS holds membership of numerous networks, among these are:
- Trans European Policy Studies Association - TEPSA
- Euro-Mediterranean Study Commission - EuroMeSCo Network
- Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security - RUSI
- Local Politics and Democracy network
- Oslo University
- European Concortium for Political Research - ECPR
- International Institute for Strategic Studies - IISS
- European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes - EADI
Danish Institute for International Studies, DIIS
Strandgade 56 - 1401 Copenhagen, Denmark
Tel: +45 3269 8787
If you would like to contact the focal point of this institute, please write to